This Thursday we joined the rest of the Fine & Country team in hosting a charity coffee and cake morning. In true Lemon and Lime style, we had cake to feed a small army. A big thank you to everyone who popped in for a cuppa and a slice (or three!). We are thrilled to have raised £101.61 for the Padley group, a local charity who run the homeless centre in Derby.
The team voted, and Hannah’s Courgette & Lime cake was our favourite bake. To all of those who asked, here is the recipe below.
Courgette & Lime Cake
(from the Three Sisters Bake cookbook)
For The Cake:
- 135ml sunflower oil
- 200g caster sugar
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 300g self-raising flour
- tsp bicarbonate soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 335g courgette, finely grated
- grated zest of 2 limes
For The Icing:
- 200g full-fat cream cheese
- 100g icing sugar
- grated zest and juice of 1 lime
- courgette ribbons or pomegranate seeds to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 160C, 320F, gas 2. Line the base and sides of the cake tin with greaseproof paper.
- Beat the oil, sugar and eggs together in a large bowl with an electric hand mixer for 2-3 minutes, until light and fluffy. Sift in the flour, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder and fold into the mixture. Fold in the grated courgette and lime zest.
- Pour into the prepared tin and bake for 40-50 minutes, until golden brown and a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool a little in the tin, then turn out onto a wire rack.
- To make the icing, beat the cream cheese and icing sugar together until smooth. Add the lime zest and juice and stir.
- Once cool, top the cake with the icing by running a spatula or palate knife back and forth over the cake creating deep grooves to give a nice textural look.